MEDIASTRAIGHTalk-April Edition

April 1, 2013

TRUTH USED TO BE AS SIMPLE AS ‘BLACK-AND-WHITE’— More than 50 Chicago public schools will be closed so kids can get a better education down the street. The teachers union is upset, parents of the mostly black and brown kids are upset, and politicians are upset. Some even call the transfer move “racist”. How about the truth rather than political correctness for a change? Less than 10% of the Chicago public school kids are white. Grade school math says that leaves 90%. Many of them are falling further behind each school year. Key audiences like parents, teachers, administrators, neighborhood leaders, might want to stop using the “r” word and look for effective ways to educate our kids The truth has become one of the biggest casualties of our 21st century society. Facing it is the first step to solutions.

TIME TO CAN THE SILLY SUGARY DRINKS-IN –LARGE SERVINGS ‘REGS’— New York Mayor Bloomberg’s anti-obesity campaign to ban sugary drinks in large servings (sodas) has been struck down as unconstitutional. Other states are trying to tax sweetened beverages. Altering your behavior for your own ‘good’ is another sad sign of the times. Why? Parents should be the ones to keep their kids in shape. Parents should be the ones who should insist their kids get daily exercise—NO EXCUSES. Parents should be the ones to set the example for their kids. What should government do about obesity? Stay out of the way. D.C. Democrats and Republicans equally share responsibility for bloated budgets and runaway costs for some time. This kind of malarkey leads to even greater public cynicism of pols. The truth has become one of the biggest casualties of our 21st century society. Facing it is the first step to solutions.

WINNING TAKES CARE OF EVERYTHING— That’s the Nike ad showcasing Tiger Woods because he’s winning golf tournaments again. Now that’s PR-marketing CHUTZPAH! Let’s see. In 2009 Woods was #1 in a major sex scandal that cost him his wife, his carefully build-up rep as a family guy and a well- honed in-your-face golf game. And now that he’s got a new girlfriend and won a few “non major” golf events, winning takes care of everything? How about, perhaps, forgiveness…arrogance and redemption? Maybe Woods is back on top of the golf world but Tigers aren’t known to change their stripes. Know of any examples? Maybe Lance Armstrong or Pete Rose. The truth has become one of the biggest casualties of our 21st century society. Facing it is the first step to solutions.

Leave a Reply